Offshore petroleum exploration areas currently open for bidding
About exploration areas currently open
Each year, the Australian Government formally releases new offshore areas for consideration by the global petroleum exploration industry as part of the Offshore Petroleum Exploration Acreage Release.
Offshore petroleum exploration areas are currently open for bidding as part of the 2012 Offshore Petroleum Acreage Release.
About the 2012 Offshore Petroleum Exploration Acreage Release
The 2012 Offshore Petroleum Exploration Acreage Release was launched by the Australian Minister for Resources and Energy, the Hon Martin Ferguson AM MP on 14 May 2012.
The 2012 Release comprises 27 areas, located across nine basins in Commonwealth waters in the offshore areas of Northern Territory, Western Australia, South Australia, Victoria and Tasmania. In addition, 10 areas are re-released for consideration.
2012 Acreage Release
First round (15 areas)
Areas: NT12-3, W12-1 to W12-5, W12-8, W12-9, W12-12 to W12-14, S12-4, V12-1,V12-2, and T12-1
Thursday 8 November 2012
Areas: NT11-2, AC11-1, W11-3, W11-6, W11-7, W11-16, W11-17, V11-3, V11-4 and V11-6
2012 Acreage Release Second round (12 areas)
Areas: NT12-1, NT12-2, W12-6, W12-7, W12-10, W12-11, S12-1 to S12-3, T12-2, V12-3 and V12-4
Thursday 9 May 2013
Exploration work undertaken in re-release acreage may fulfil Good Standing Arrangement obligations, which have been entered into by a company following the cancellation or expiry in default of an exploration permit.
Pre-competitive and open-file geological data associated with release areas may be available from Geoscience Australia, which offers secure access to seismic and geological data supporting the Acreage Release.
Submitting a bidding application
All applications are received by the National Offshore Petroleum Titles Administrator (NOPTA) on behalf of the Joint Authority.
To submit a bidding application, applicants must:
- make an appointment with NOPTA. This can be done by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or phoning the appropriate phone number:
- NOPTA Titles—(08) 6424 5317
- NOPTA WA reception—(08) 6424 5300
- NOPTA Vic. reception—(03) 8199 0300
- download and complete an Application for Petroleum Exploration Permit cover form. This can be obtained from the NOPTA website
- include three bound paper copies and three searchable electronic copies (CD or USB) of the application for a single area, along with the prescribed application form and fee. Information about the fee is available on the application form
- seal and clearly mark the application as “Application for Area…” as appropriate, “Commercial-in-Confidence”. The envelope or package should then be enclosed in a plain covering envelope or package.
Applicants should check the NOPTA website for further updates on submissions prior to submitting an application.
Further information on re-release areas, bid application requirements and a bid checklist can be found on the 2012 Offshore Petroleum Exploration Acreage Release.
For data room bookings email email@example.com or visit the Geoscience Australia website. To request well and survey data from repository holdings or to view samples email firstname.lastname@example.org.