Highlights - Release Area NT09-1, Malita Graben, Bonaparte Basin, Northern Territory
In this section
Bids Close - 3 December 2009
- Surrounded by giant gas accumulations.
- Close to Darwin operations base and the Wickham Point LNG plant.
- Water depths less than 200 m.
- Proven gas-prone Early-Middle Jurassic (Plover Formation) source rock, potential oil and gas-prone Late Jurassic and potential oil-prone Early Cretaceous source rocks.
- Fair-good quality Middle Jurassic (Plover Formation) reservoir; good quality, Middle-Late Jurassic (Elang Formation), Late Jurassic-Early Cretaceous (Sandpiper Sandstone) and Late Cretaceous (Puffin Formation) reservoirs.
- Good quality regional Early Cretaceous seal (Echuca Shoals Formation), intra-formational seals within Middle Jurassic Plover and Late Cretaceous Wangarlu formations.
- Special Notices apply, refer to Guidance Notes.
* select image for Hi-Resolution PDF version
Malita Graben Petroleum Play elements
Gas sourced from the Early-Middle Jurassic Plover Formation.
Gas and oil potential from the Late Jurassic Frigate Shale.
Oil potential from the Early Cretaceous Echuca Shoals Formation.
Primary clastic reservoirs, Middle Jurassic Plover Formation and Middle-Late Jurassic Elang Formation.
Secondary clastic reservoirs Late Jurassic-Early Cretaceous Sandpiper Sandstone and Late Cretaceous upper Wangarlu Formation (Santonian) and Puffin Formation (Maastrichtian).
Secondary carbonate reservoir, fracture porosity in Early Cretaceous'Darwin Radiolarite'.
Early Cretaceous lower Bathurst Island Group (Echuca Shoals Formation) regional seal.
Intra-formational seals within Plover and Wangarlu formations.
The main structural plays in this region are broad faulted anticlinal structures over tilted fault blocks at the base of the regional seal. In the Release Area, tilted horst blocks are attractive targets on faulted terraces adjacent to the Malita and Calder graben.
Combination structural/stratigraphic traps are possible within the turbidite sandstones of the Middle Jurassic–Early Cretaceous Flamingo Group and Late Cretaceous Puffin Formation.
|Infrastructure and Markets|
The Release Area is surrounded by giant gas accumulations; Barossa, Caldita, Greater Sunrise and Evans Shoal, and Abadi in Indonesian waters.
Close to Darwin operations base and the Wickham Point LNG plant supplied by the Bayu-Undan gas pipeline.
Graticular Block Listing
Release Area NT09-1, Malita Graben, Bonaparte Basin, Northern Territory
Map Sheet SC 52 (Melville Island)
|2356||2420||2421|| || || |
Assessed to contain 75 blocks
Graticular Block Map