Data Supporting 2009 Release of Australian Offshore Petroleum Exploration Areas
Public access to petroleum exploration data in Australia, including digital seismic tapes, well reports and core and cuttings samples is a result of legislation that initially subsidised exploration in return for lodgement and public availability of the data. After the subsidy was removed, the requirement that data be lodged with government and made available for future exploration continued.
Open-file reports, data and down-hole samples are available from:
- Geoscience Australia (GA), Canberra
- Department of Regional Development, Primary Industry, Fisheries and Resources, Northern Territory (RDPIFR), Darwin
- Department of Mines and Petroleum, Western Australia (DMP), Perth
- Department of Primary Industries and Resources South Australia (PIRSA), Adelaide
- Department of Primary Industry, Victoria (VDPI), Melbourne
- Department of Primary Industries, New South Wales (DPI), Maitland
- Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries, Queensland (DPI&F), Brisbane
- Timor Sea Designated Authority (TSDA), Dili, Timor-Leste.
Geoscience Australia, Australia's national geoscientific information agency, adds to this physical and digital data collection by undertaking regional basin studies, acquiring regional seismic and marine reconnaissance surveys, undertaking hydrocarbon resource assessments and providing geoscientific data and reports in support of Offshore Petroleum Acreage Release rounds.
Geoscience Australia has a physical data room where specific seismic and well data relevant to current acreage release rounds can be viewed. Appointments to visit the Offshore Petroleum Acreage Release Data Room or to meet with Geoscience Australia officers can be made by visiting www.ga.gov.au/oceans/oar_DataRoom.jsp
Additional information Geoscience Australia products that support the 2009 release areas can also be obtained from the Geoscience Australia Acreage Release webpage, www.ga.gov.au/oceans/Acreage2009.jsp
Packages of specific seismic data relevant to the 2009 Offshore Petroleum Acreage Release Areas are available in GeoFrame™, Kingdom® or Landmark™ formats. Digital well completion reports and digital well logs (in original format) for specific wells are also available. These data can be ordered through the Geophysical and Geological Data Repository, phone +61 (0)2 6249 9222, or visit the Data Repository www.ga.gov.au/oceans/og_Rpstry.jsp
Listings of available data relevant to the 2009 Offshore Petroleum Acreage Release contain details of seismic surveys, cores and cuttings, destructive analysis reports, and well completion reports from the following areas:
Other content in this section