About the Coal Sector Assistance Package
As part of the Clean Energy Future (CEF) Plan, the Australian Government announced the introduction of the Coal Sector Assistance Package on 10 July 2011.
The Coal Sector Assistance Package aims to support Australia's coal mining sector by providing targeted assistance to Australia's gaseous coal mines as well as providing support for the development of coal mining abatement technologies.
The Coal Sector Assistance Package is comprised of two programs:
- Coal Sector Jobs Package
- The Government recognises the importance of safeguarding jobs and preserving local communities that rely on coal mining.
- The Coal Sector Jobs Package (CSJP) will provide over $982 million over six years from 2011-12 to the most emissions-intensive or 'gassy' coal mines.
- Assisting operators of gassy coal mines will provide time for these operators to explore options for reducing fugitive emissions from these mines.
- The CSJP will provide transitional assistance based on historical fugitive emissions-intensity data. This provides an incentive for mine operators to reduce fugitive emissions through the exploration and implementation of available abatement technologies and the development of lower emissions seams.
- Coal Mining Abatement Technology Support Package
- The Government recognises the long-term viability of the coal mining sector depends on the innovation and deployment of new technologies to reduce fugitive emissions from coal mines.
- The Coal Mining Abatement Technology Support Package (CMATSP) will provide $38.5 million over three years from 2012-13 to support the development and pilot deployment of innovation technologies to reduce fugitive emissions from coal mines, develop safe abatement practices, and assist smaller operators to develop mine emissions abatement plans.
The CMATSP is now CLOSED for new applications.
The CSJP is now CLOSED for new applications.
The press release is available on the Minister's website.
For more information about the programs email the Progam Manager firstname.lastname@example.org.